From around the age of 25, the first signs of aging start to become more visible on the surface of your skin. Andthe best defence is always quality skin care products. First, it may be just fine lines, but over time, wrinkles, a loss of volume and a loss of elasticity become more noticeable. The key to preventing wrinkles is about starting early, which is why now more than ever, young people are getting a head start on preventative measures against skin aging. Luckily, there are many ways that you can start preventing wrinkles by using professional strength skin care products.
THE CAUSE OF WRINKLES
There are two main layers of the skin: the epidermis or the outer layer, and the dermis which is below the epidermis. Wrinkles arise and develop in the dermis. Composed of mostly collagen, elastin and protein, the dermis is the thickest layer of the skin. It is largely responsible for the skin’s elasticity and resilience. However, as we age, the collagen in our dermis breaks down causing fine lines and wrinkles to form. Consequently, there are other external factors such as overexposure to the sun, pollution and smoking that can speed up the ageing process of our skin. Different ethnicities have different thicknesses of the dermis and age slower or faster depending on this thickness.
SKIN CARE PRODUCTS TO PREVENT WRINKLES
- SPF: Did you know about 95% of accelerated signs of aging are said to be caused by sun damage? Unfortunately, not everyone can avoid the sun. But everyone can protect themselves from it. No matter at what age, applying SPF should be an everyday habit! However, not all SPF sunscreens are created equal. Try to find a physical protector that contains micronized Zinc Oxide and bonus vitamins. Our SPF 35 Sunscreen is a paraben-free and oil-free protector against UVA and UVB rays. Not only does it contain Micronized Zinc Oxide, but it is also formulated with Vitamin E. Vitamin E help neutralize any free radicals left on the skin’s surface by infrared waves.
- Vitamin C: Applied topically, Vitamin C protects against UV-induced damage to the skin caused by free radicals. The less damage free radicals inflict on the skin, the more youthful your appearance will be. Vitamin C also has the unique ability to boost collagen, helping to reduce existing lines, wrinkles and crow’s feet. Our Vitamin C Serum for Face and Eye is an oil-free, highly absorbent serum. It is potent enough to make a noticeable improvement to the skin, but gentle enough to be used on all skin types.
- Retinol: In the fight against aging, our Retinol Serum pairs beautifully with our Vitamin C Serum for Face and Eye. Retinol works to reduce signs of aging by mildly exfoliating and unclogging pores. While both serums aid in anti-aging, Retinol and Vitamin C have very different functions. Vitamin C is an antioxidant that stimulates collagen production, while Retinol is an exfoliant that rids the skin of damaged cells and helps maintain a healthy skin cell turnover rate to keep your skin looking youthful!
ADDITIONAL TIPS FOR YOUTHFUL SKIN
- Beauty Sleep: Did you know that a lack of sleep can increase the inflammatory response of the skin? Truly, this can lead to a faster breakdown of collagen and hyaluronic acid; these are the molecules that give the skin its glow, bounce and translucency. Getting enough sleep is essential for maintaining a smooth and youthful appearance. Unfortunately, there will be nights when you just don’t get enough sleep. On those days, consider using the our Hydrating Face Mask. It has a 14 plant complex that helps repair and restore your skin, giving you an overall brighter and more rested complexion.
- Stay Nourished and Hydrated: Your skin is a direct reflection of your health. It is the largest organ of your body, responsible for the elimination of toxins and your first line of defence against external pollutants. Toxins from inside your body can make your skin look less than beautiful. Eating foods rich in enzymes help detoxify these toxins from within. Drinking healthy amounts of water, green tea (rich in antioxidants) or coconut water can also help. Remember, what you put into your body is just as important.
- Get Up and Move: Another amazing body system that plays an important role in beautiful glowing skin is the lymphatic system. Think of it as the body’s built-in sanitization center, which carries away and filters toxins from the body. The lymphatic system depends largely on muscle activity and movement for circulation. A simple way to stimulate your lymph is to engage your diaphragm. Therefore, even going for a nice walk can greatly benefit your lymphatic system.
ACHIEVING HEALTHY, BEAUTIFUL SKIN
We know that facial wrinkles are among the most common signs of ageing. The good news? There are many ways to prevent and treat them. With intentional lifestyle changes and skin care choices, beautiful skin is possible. But, how can you determine which skin care products are perfect for you? Take our skin quiz to get personalized recommendations from our expert consultants.